Our mission is make access to justice affordable. In North America, almost $400 billion dollars is spent every year on legal services, yet 86% of of civil legal problems faced by low-income individuals receive either inadequate or no legal help at all. The legal system is intended to benefit us all, not just the top 10% of income earners.
We are bringing progressive and modern financial services to the legal world, opening the door for more people to access legal services and seek justice.
- We're VC-backed and well capitalized
- We have paying customers and exciting MoM growth
- Our founding team has an exceptional track record
- ($2.5 billion in shareholder value created in previous 3 ventures)
- Our first product is "Buy Now Pay Later" for legal services: think Affirm for lawyers
Role & Responsibilities
This is the first full-time hire on our engineering team, apart from our CTO. Consequently, candidates should expect a high degree of trust and autonomy. We intend to do great work together over the long-term, and we insist that anybody joining LegalMate at this stage is ready to grow with the company and take on more responsibility as we scale.
We are a Clojure shop and are looking to work with engineers eager to apply functional programming concepts. We are happy to train folks up on Clojure!
- Write production-grade Clojure and ClojureScript
- Review code, and provide constructive and useful feedback
- Create and collaborate on technical designs, document them
- Coach and mentor junior Clojurians in the making
- Introducing new developers to Clojure is a critical to our strategy
- Elevate the test-ability and re-usability of existing code
- Help evaluate and hire additional engineering team members (in the future)
These are provided for you to understand the relative skill and experience level of the candidates we're seeking. If you don't meet or exceed these 100%, that's OK! Please consider applying regardless.
- 5+ yrs of professional software development experience (Clojure or otherwise)
- 2+ yrs of Clojure development experience (professional or hobby)
- Previous experience working on small teams that scaled up
- You have a track record of leading successful projects
- You can give concrete examples of when you've received some hard feedback, and when you've had to deliver some hard feedback too
This role is ideal for a senior developer who's comfortable with Clojure (or wants to learn), and who wants to participate in building and growing a world-class engineering team and company.
- You're more motivated to help humans than you are to solve coding puzzles
- You're comfortable with Clojure idioms (or want to learn) and functional programming concepts
- The idea of working with functional programming (Clojure) full-time is exciting and motivating
- You use data to help make decisions and inform designs
- You know how to manage your energy and time
Nice-to-have Qualities You Might Have
- You have prior experience in financial technology, or legal technology
- To you, working on legal financial tech doesn't sound boring: it sounds awesome
- You're ready to quit programming if you don't get to use functional programming in you're next position