Senior Software Engineer
As the UK's largest independent producer of organic veg boxes, you can imagine that we're no ordinary e-commerce company. We deliver to more than 50,000 households every week, and run 3 farms, 2 pack houses, a butchery, a vegetable wholesaler and a restaurant! Every part of our company is enabled through technology, from the PDAs out on the fields, to our website, picking lines and mobile apps. We are extraordinarily passionate about our products, the ethics we demand of ourselves in their supply, and the attention to detail we take in their delivery.
Our high expectations are rewarded by getting to be part of a fantastic business with amazing benefits. We are based in some of the most beautiful countryside in the world, in a modern solar-powered office with all the best start-up trimmings: good coffee, organic home-cooked breakfasts and lunches, top-end hardware and obviously an arcade machine. We are employee owned, and all co-owners share our profits, because we believe everyone should succeed together. When was the last time you heard birdsong while working? Walked down a path and saw the wildlife while having a go/no go meeting? Ate poached egg on toast during a review session? Chatted with a stakeholder over an organic beer? This is life at Riverford.
What we expect from a Senior Software Engineer
As a senior software engineer and co-owner (Riverford became employee owned in 2018), you will be a key member of our team, leading the development of both customer facing and back office software. Our wide variety of projects range from custom apps and websites to back office systems and third-party integrations. You will take a considered approach to development and be responsible for software excellence. We expect candidates to be confident in analysing requirements, talking to users and stakeholders to understand what they need, and to take cost/benefit into consideration when making decisions.
We expect that you will have a good understanding of computer science fundamentals -- and can identify when prior work has already been done on a problem. You will be capable of debugging and correcting defects, as well as testing to ensure defects are less likely.
We work in an agile manner, releasing often. So good continuous integration practices and automated testing is a must. You should feel comfortable working with and mentoring others, and improving quality through considerate, respectful code review.
Remote working is possible for this role, with a minimum of 5 days on-site in Wash Barn, Devon every two months. This would be timed to correspond with our other remote workers so that we can spend the time building the team as well as the software.
This is a permanent contract, 40 hours a week. Based at Wash Barn, Buckfastleigh, Devon, TQ11 0JU. On-site working is our preference, however remote working will be considered.
Skills and experience:
• Clojure experience is highly desirable, other JVM languages are also desirable.
• Expert understanding of the JVM, its library ecosystem and tooling.
• Strong understanding of SQL Databases. At Riverford we use MySQL and SQL Server.
• Computer science fundamentals, data structures, time and space complexity.
• Architecture fundamentals able to reduce complexity, understand concurrency, understand distribution.
• Automated testing experience. We automate integration, acceptance and unit tests. We use selenium and appium to test our UI's.
• Version control experience, we use git.
• AWS experience is highly desirable, we host on AWS and leverage many of its services. Familiarity in writing tooling against AWS API's is desirable.
• You'll be very capable of solving problems and communicating them to both technical and non-technical people.
• You have a good amount of experience in commercial software development, working with teams, full stack development and integrating disparate systems.
• You will have a history of delivering architectural decisions on the projects you have worked on and will be comfortable describing the real business value behind those decisions.
Salary Up to £60,000 per annum d.o.e
What you get We reward our co-owners over and above the norm. We offer a working environment unlike any other and we are constantly improving. That said, here are the usual suspects:
• Matched contributory pension
• 33 days holiday including bank holidays
• 25% off all our stunning ethical organic food
• Discounts with local partners
• Heavily subsidised, home-cooked organic breakfast and lunch
• 10% of our gross profits are shared with the co-owners (tax free)
• Free grade-out organic fruit and veg
• Amazing organic coffee selections; morning espresso to stay-late cafetières
• BIG summer and winter parties, along with all year get-togethers
• Multiple screens and any software you need
• 10% training time and £1,000 contribution each year
Please apply via - https://candidate.riverfordcareers.co.uk/108160BRCL