Sparrho is looking for an amazing all-round dev to join our team. Someone who can take a project all the way from discussing requirements with the product team to managing and monitoring the production infrastructure. Skill and flexibility are key to this role.
Our technology is the foundation of everything we do, and we'll use whatever's available to give users a response faster than they can blink, even across 60 million+ pieces of content. Our core stack is Clojure/Clojurescript---React on the front end, GraphQL on the back end---with PostgreSQL and ElasticSearch to keep our data front and center, and Docker and Terraform to keep everything on AWS running smoothly.
You'll be joining a small team and moving quickly---you'll need the experience to make the right technical decisions to build fast, scalable tech that the business needs: everything from content acquisition to performance tuning, from UI changes to totally new product features.
You will be responsible for:
• Putting together major, brand new site functionality for both users and commercial partners
• Keeping the codebase clean enough to iterate quickly, without overarchitecting
• Deciding and executing on the long-term technical strategy, in keeping with evolving business goals
• Working with publisher and provider data to keep content flowing to our users
• Ensuring that search clusters and database servers maintain peak performance as incoming content increases
Experience essential to the role:
• Clojure, or professional experience with another functional language
• Ability to help us grow the tech team---we are a growing startup and will need to find more people like you
• Operational management of a production infrastructure, from diagnosing---and fixing!---transient network failures to extracting ad-hoc reports from the production database in a safe way
• Building a user-centric website in collaboration with a product team
These are the main technologies we're using; knowing all of them is not required but the more you have already userd the better:
Interest in machine learning will come in handy as we work with our university partners to build up our augmented intelligence features.
If you're the developer we've been waiting for, then send us your: CV, github username, and earliest starting date (all documents will be kept confidential).
Sparrho blends machine learning and expert curation to help users from 150+ countries stay on top of the science that matters to them. With over 60 million unique research papers and patents from all fields of science in our database, our mission is to democratise scientific knowledge, making it more accessible, searchable and shareable.
The company was founded in July 2013 by two Oxbridge ex-scientists who met though Entrepreneur First. We're now a superstar team of 12, and our HQ is in the heart of vibrant Shoreditch.
Start date: Immediate
Remuneration package: Competitive salary & benefits
Send Sybil (email@example.com) your CV, github username, and earliest starting date