Senior Software Engineer
We're mad about organic veg. It's at the core of everything we do. We love to grow it, pack it into boxes and deliver it to customers' doorsteps around the UK. This takes a lot of brilliant people, with a range of skills and knowledge.
As the UKs largest independent producer of organic vegetable boxes you can imagine that we are no ordinary software development house. We deliver to over 50,000 households each and every week, employ over 500 staff, run 3 farms, a butchery, wholesalers, restaurant and an organic pub! Every part of our company is enabled through technology from the PDA's out on the fields through to our award winning e-commerce website. We are extraordinarily passionate about our products, the ethics we demand of ourselves in their supply and the attention to detail we take in their delivery.
We are based in some of the most beautiful countryside in the world in a modern solar-powered office with all the essential comforts; good coffee, organic home-cooked breakfasts and lunches, break-out pods, top-end hardware & obviously a tractor hanging from the ceiling! We also share our profits because we believe everyone should succeed together. When was the last time you heard bird song while coding? Walked down a beautiful tree lined path while contemplating? Ate organic poached egg on toast during a deployment? This is life at Riverford.
We are less concerned about specifics and decades of experience than we are about cultural fit, an ambition, and capability, to learn and develop your skills. If there is something on our list which is out of your comfort zone that's fine but expect us, to expect you, to pick it up and run with it should you join us!
What we expect from a Senior Software Engineer
You will be at the centre of a new chapter for e-commerce here at Riverford. You will be defining the roadmap and architecture of our new website, identifying and developing new capabilities and features which will enable Riverford to deliver ever improving products and experiences to our customers. You will drive best practices and operational excellence into our growing codebase, feeding in from end to end including analysing requirements, identifying approaches, architecting, coding and deploying code to a live customer base. Championing an agile workflow, alongside fantastic colleagues, to deliver continuous improvement for stakeholders throughout the business.
You'll be passionate about software development, the latest in software architecture, cloud and approaches to the problems of a vertically integrated business. You will be comfortable suggesting and defending approaches, care about the improving state of our software and take ownership over ensuring our systems are scalable, secure and robust. Ego is left at the door and taking time to mentor more junior team mates will be second nature. Most of all though you will want to work with like-minded and highly capable people to deliver fantastic ethical and delicious products powered by YOUR code and infrastructure.
We are looking for an engineer with functional programming experience or a strong desire to learn.
Experience working with JVM languages, libraries and tools would be an advantage.
Here are our ideal skills we are looking for in this role:
• Clojure -- Any experience would be an advantage, if not a desire to learn is a must.
Experience with other functional languages such as F#, Scala, Erlang or Haskell would be considered an advantage.
• JVM -- We would like you to be able to fully leverage the huge JVM ecosystem. Including software written in Java.
• AWS EC2, Docker, Elastic Beanstalk -- Where we host our applications
• Git -- Our revision control of choice
• Testing -- You should be able to build testable software, we use core.test and test.check.
• Automation focused -- You should endeavour to automate where appropriate e.g deployments, tests
• Architecture fundamentals -- Concurrency, failure modes, consistency etc.
• Debug fundamentals -- Monitoring, profiling, logging etc.
• Linux -- We host on the best-fit platforms for the system
• E-commerce -- Assessing business impact is fundamental to success
• Agile / Scrum / Kanban -- We develop just-in-time to deliver value quickly
• JIRA -- We communicate direction and progress through user-stories
• You'll be very capable of solving problems and communicating them to both technical and non-technical people.
• You are likely to have a good amount of experience in commercial software development, working with teams, focused around e-commerce, full stack web and integrating disparate systems.
• You will have a history of delivering architectural decisions on the projects you have worked on and will be comfortable describing the real business value behind those decisions.
**Working Hours: **Minimum 40 hours per week
**Benefits: **We reward our staff over and above the norm. We offer a working environment unlike any other and we are constantly looking at ways to make Riverford a great place to work
• Highly competitive salary
• 5% matched contributory pension
• 23 days holiday + bank holidays
. 25% staff discount on all our lovely produce, delivered to your door at home
. 20% discount at Farm Shops (a separately owned business but part of the Riverford family)
• 25% off all our stunning ethical organic food
• Heavily subsidised, delicious home cooked organic breakfast and lunch
• 10% of our profits are shared with our staff
• Free grade-out fruit and veg
• Amazing summer & winter parties along with plenty of BBQ's and get-togethers
• Free Tea, Coffee, Fruit & Parking
• Dual 21-inch screens, a top end laptop (16GB, SSD) + any software you need
• £1000 per year for your choice of conferences and training
Reporting to: Technical Lead
Contract: Permanent following 3 month probation period
Based at: Wash Barn, Buckfastleigh, Devon, TQ11 0JU
Please apply via http://bit.ly/2jMUaBJ or send your CV to email@example.com